Town of Stephentown

  Stephentown, New York


The Town of Stephentown Court is responsible for traffic matters, criminal matters, civil matters, environmental conservation matters, local law matters and small claims actions occurring in the Town of Stephentown.

The Court hears parking and traffic tickets - both violations and misdemeanors, including Driving While Intoxicated cases.  Along with traffic matters, the Court also presides over criminal matters that take place within the Town such as petit larceny.  The Court also hears evictions brought by landlords; and small claims brought by individuals who feel they are owed monies.

The Court has two Town Justices which preside over all Court proceedings, the Honorable Cyril A. Grant and the Newly Elected Honorable John M. Meekins.

The Court office is charged with collecting the fines imposed by the Judges on various cases.  The Court also maintains records of all cases brought before the Court.


The Town of Stephentown Court is located in the Town Hall at 26 Grange Hall Road.

From Albany...I-90 East to Exit 8...Route 43 East to Stephentown..take second left on Grange Hall Road

From Massachusetts...Route 20 West to Route 22 North at New Lebanon to Stephentown...Route 43 at red light turn left to Grange Hall Road

From Vermont...Route 22 South to Stephentown...Turn right to Route Grange Hall Road



Court scheduled for Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM has been cancelled and rescheduled to Tuesday,

February 26, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

If you were scheduled for court on the 12th, a notice will be sent with the new date.

The Court Office will also be closed on Tuesday, February 12th.

If you have any questions, please contact the court at (518) 733-5636.  Press 5 to reach the Court Office.

Doors do NOT open until 6:45 pm on court nights.

Please enter the Court Room using the south door.

Any questions, please call (518) 733-5636. 

Court will be held on the First, Second and Third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM.  Please note these dates and times are subject to change.   Please refer to the monthly calendar for any changes.  If you have any questions, contact the Court Clerk at (518) 733-5636, ext. 5.  PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE TOWN CLERK WITH QUESTIONS REGARDING COURT!


Court Clerk Office Hours will be:

 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm Tuesday

 If you have any questions, please contact me at

(518) 733-5636 ext. 5.

 Thank you, Tammy

CLICK HERE for the 2019 Court Calendar

Doors will open at 6:45 pm on court nights. 

Please enter the Court Room using the south door.

Any questions, please call (518) 733-5636.

Dedication to Judge Wesley Edwards

50 Years of Service!

The Town of Stephentown would like to personally Thank Judge Wesley Edwards the Senior Sitting Town Judge for the State of New York for his dedication and service of 50 years. It is difficult for all of us to see you retire after serving 50 years to this Town. Throughout the years you have contributed immensely to this Town and we can't Thank you enough, your accomplishments are extraordinary! You will truly be missed.

Congratulations on your 50 year retirement!  



 Judge Cyril Grant

Judge John Meekins (Photo Not Shown)


 TAMMY WHITMAN, COURT CLERK              PHONE: 518-733-5636 EXT. 5



1.  Are court sessions open to the public?

 Yes, Court Sessions are open to the public.

2.  What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?

There are a few options when getting a traffic ticket. On the back of the ticket given by the officer is what is called a plea by mail.  If you wish to plead guilty you may sign and date Part A pleading guilty and the Court will mail you back a notice of fine.  If you wish to plead not guilty you may sign and date Part B pleading not guilty and you will be scheduled for a pre-trial conference.

If you do not wish to plea by mail but rather you would like to speak to a judge then you must appear on the date that is listed on the front of your ticket located near the bottom of the ticket. Please note that most tickets you can mail in your plea, however there are some exceptions.  All misdemeanor tickets must appear in Court.  If there is a question on whether you were charged with a misdemeanor you may contact the court for clarification.

3.  How do I file a small claim?

In order to file a small claim in our Court, the person whom you are suing must either live or work in the Town of Stephentown.  In other words the address you provide the court must be located in the Town.  You do need an exact address, you can not use a PO Box.  The amount of your claim cannot exceed $3,000.

Once you have this information you may file the paperwork at the Court.  The Court does not have the jurisdiction over corporations or partnerships.  For more information you may pick up a booklet on small claims at the Court office, or you may view the booklet online by clicking on the link below.

Guide To Small Claims Court

Note: A Guide to Small Claims Court is in Adobe Acrobat format.  Click to download the program--there is no charge for it.   

 Get Acrobat Reader

4.  How do I file a Civil Claim by myself for back rent?

Contact the court to obtain the proper paperwork you will need to file.  However, please note that the Court Clerk is NOT allowed to give advice on which forms you will need to file.

5.  How do I get a public defender?

In order to obtain a public defender you must financially qualify and be appointed such counsel by the Court.  An attorney from the Rensselaer County Public Defenders Office is present during Court time.  The Office of the Public Defender is located in the Rensselaer County Court House in Troy, NY.  You may contact the Public Defenders Office by phone at 518-270-4030.

6.  What do I do if I get a suspension notice?

You should immediately contact the court to determine the reason for the suspension.  If the suspension is for failing to pay a fine the payment should be remitted to the court.  If the suspension is for failing to answer the summons then you may be able to mail in a plea and payment, or you may need to appear in court, depending on the ticket.

7.  How can I pay my fine?

The Justice Court accepts cash, money order, certified check, Visa or MasterCard as payment.  The Court does not accept personal checks.  Please make your money order or certified check payable to "Stephentown Court".  Upon payment a Court receipt will be issued.  If you are not paying in person and wish to have the receipt mailed to you, please enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for return.  If you wish to pay by credit card, all fine notices distributed by the Court are sent with a credit card authorization form or, you may use the link provided in printable forms on this page.